We found a list of statistics of well known sucessful people who are in the same situation you are now. If they had given up, how different would the world be without their influence.
- At age 23, Tina Fey was still working at a YMCA.
- At age 23, Oprah was fired from her first reporting job & told she was too ugly for television.
- At age 24, Stephen King was working as a janitor cleaning up after others and living in a trailer, wondering if his ideas were truly worthwhile.
- At age 28, J.K. Rowling was a suicidal single parent living on welfare, after living with an abusive husband who told her she was “worthless”.
- At age 29, Vincent Van Gogh failed as a christian missionary and decided to go to art school. He began painting for the first time in a beat up old shack just to help him fight his own despression.
- At age 30, Harrison Ford was a carpenter.
- At age 37, Ang Lee was a stay-at-home-dad working odd jobs.
- Julia Child released her first cookbook at age 39, and got her own cooking show at age 51.
- Vera Wang failed to make the Olympic figure skating team, didn’t get the Editor-in-Chief position at Vogue, and designed her first dress at age 40.
- Stan Lee didn’t release his first big comic book until he was 40.
- Alan Rickman gave up his graphic design career and landed his first movie role at age 42.
- Samuel L. Jackson didn’t get his first major movie role until he was 46.
- Morgan Freeman landed his first major movie role at age 52.
God has made us all as unique & individual art pieces. we do not compete with each other, nor are we better or worse than one another. We were made as stand alone pieces of art that shine their own unique beauty & design into the world. Without such variety there is no beauty, so don’t tell yourself that your imperfections are too much to pursue who you were meant to be.
***The original article I wrote can be found here.